Voted by counsel as Best Lawyers®
"Lawyer of the Year", Arbitration (Neutral), 2014,
in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area
Recognized by The Daily Journal
as a Top 50 Neutral in Southern California
for article click here
MAX FACTOR III, Esq.
Appreciative comments from counsel & litigants:
"Max brought closure in one day to a matter we thought
would never end."
"A Highly Effective and Valuable Agent of Reality."
"Max uses his skills as a successful deal-maker and experienced litigator to get results that make sense."
"One of the best mediators I have had the pleasure of dealing with in 33 years of practicing law."
Mediations via ARC (Alternative Resolution Centers): please click here to link to www.ARC4ADR.com
Arbitrations via AAA (American Arbitration Association): please click here to link to www.adr.org
- Knowledgeable - efficient dealmaker in business, employment and real estate
- Experienced - full-time neutral with a thriving ADR practice since 2000
- Excels in situations laden with difficult clients and hard bargaining tactics
- Persevering - stays with counsel until resolution is reached or the case is over
- Successful - respected as a Top Neutral by counsel and peers
Hundreds of Successful Mediations
9 years in public service
22 years in private practice
13 years as a full-time neutral
Recognized in April 2013 as one of 81 Honorees of the Los Angeles County Volunteer of the Year Award for playing a key role in enriching the lives of LA County residents. Nominated the the LASC ADR office for volunteer work done over many years to help and promote mediation and arbitration. Above: with Supervisors Don Knabe & Michael Antonovich, Head of LASC ADR Department, Ana Maria Veiga, and LA County CEO, Bill Fujioka.
Moderator: "The Neuroscience & Neuroeconomics of Decision-Making: Implications for Mediation", 7th Annual Robert I. Weil Lecture, November 2012
Panelist: "Beyond Mediation: The New Frontier of Dispute Resolution", Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles ADR Section, November 2012
Co-presenter: "Advanced Negotiating Techniques Every Attorney Should Know": 85th Annual California State Bar Conference, Monterey, October 2012
Co-presenter: Highly Effective Strategies and Techniques in Employment Mediation: SCMA/ARC May 2012
Presenter: Sharpening Your Mediation & Negotiation Skills: Pepperdine, May 2012
- Co-Presenter: American Bar Association's Section of Dispute Resolution 14th Annual Conference, April 2012: "Building an ADR Practice"
- Presenter: Ventura Center for Dispute Resolution Annual Mediation Conference, April 2012: "Hardball Negotiating Tactics –Do They Work in Real Estate, Employment and Commercial Conflicts?”
- Presenter, American Bar Association's Section of Dispute Resolution 13th Annual Conference, April 2011: "Hardball Tactics, When to Use & How to Defend when Negotiating (or Mediating) the Litigated Case" (with Michael Orfield and Christine Masters).
- Presenter, California Judges Association Retired Judges Conference, March 2011: "Mediation Confidentiality: Issues & Current Cases" (with Denise Madigan and Judge Laurie Zelon)
- Adjunct Professor, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, 2006-present. Taught, as Faculty, "Mediating the Litigated Case" - highly regarded, intensive course for attorneys & graduate students from all over the country: 2010-12 Orange County and Malibu campuses
- Member, Los Angeles Superior Court ADR Committee & Sub-Committee on Operations, 2008-12
- Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2009-12
- 2006-2013: SuperLawyers recognition for ADR Practice
2007-13: Best Lawyers® Best Law Firm for ADR Practice
2014: Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year", Arbitration, in L.A. area
Chair, 4th - 8th Annual Robert I. Weil Lecture, 2009 - 2013
President, Downtown Los Angeles Litigation Inn of Court, 2008
Member, California & National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals 2006- present
Member, Chair's Council for the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, CalTech 2011-13; Chair's Council for the Division of Biology, CalTech, 2008-10
Member, USC Board of Councilors
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Distinguished Visitor Lecturer, September 2007: "On Understanding the Effects of Anger and Fear in Negotiating Outcomes"
Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators
Panellist, "Emerging Ethical Issues: Are Mediations Really Confidential?" at IAM Conference, Coral Gables, Florida, May 2008
Moderator, "Fear, Anger & Risk in Mediation" at IAM Conference, Portland, Oregon, October 2007
Moderator, "Beyond Yes: An Exploration of the Mind & Decision-Making" at IAM Fall Conference, Dana Point, California, November 2005
President of the Southern California Mediation Association, 2005-06
Presenter, Spring 2005: American Bar Association Spring Conference
Past Chairman (2006-07), California State Bar Committee on Administration of Justice
Harvard College, 1966: B.A. Economics magna cum laude
Yale Law School, 1969: J.D., Yale Law Journal 1967-69
US Court of Appeals (6th Circuit) - Hon. Anthony J. Celebrezze
Law Clerk, 1969-1971
Max was featured in Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine, February 2008 & February 2009. To read the article, click here Super Lawyer Article Feb 2008.pdf
With sister, Maxine, getting in the mood for Opening Day at Dodger Stadium - April 1, 2013