Voted by counsel as Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year", Arbitration (Neutral), 2014, in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area details here
2012 & 2014: Recognized by The Daily Journal as a Top Neutral in Southern California for article click here
Elected by his Peers, 2006 through 2017, as Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators
MAX FACTOR III, Esq.
General Inquiries: 310-749-2766 - Irene
Mediation Inquiries: 310-284-8224 - Nicole
Appreciative comments from counsel & litigants:
"Max brought closure in one day to a matter we thought would never end."
"A Highly Effective and Valuable Agent of Reality."
"Max uses his skills as a successful deal-maker and experienced litigator to get results that make sense."
"One of the best mediators I have had the pleasure of dealing with in 33 years of practicing law."
Mediations via ARC (Alternative Resolution Centers): please click here to link to www.ARC4ADR.com
Arbitrations via AAA (American Arbitration Association): please click here to link to www.adr.org
Hundreds of Successful Mediations
9 years in public service
22 years in private practice
17 years as a full-time neutral
- Presenter: "The Non-paying Party" at "Mastering Commercial Arbitration", January 28, 2016, a full day program about cutting edge practical issues, presented by Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Co-presenter with Richard Chernick, Esq. & Deborah Crandall Saxe, Esq. for The Rutter Group: "Arbitration: Cutting Edge Issues" April 27, 2015
Recognized in April 2013 as one of 81 Honorees of the Los Angeles County Volunteer of the Year Award for playing a key role in enriching the lives of LA County residents. Nominated by the LASC ADR office for volunteer work done over many years to promote mediation and arbitration. Above: with Supervisors Don Knabe & Michael Antonovich, Head of LASC ADR Department, Ana Maria Veiga, and LA County CEO, Bill Fujioka.
Panelist: "Beyond Mediation: The New Frontier of Dispute Resolution", Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles ADR Section, November 2012
Co-author: "Advanced Negotiating Techniques Every Attorney Should Know": 85th Annual California State Bar Conference, Monterey, October 2012
Co-presenter: Highly Effective Strategies and Techniques in Employment Mediation: SCMA/ARC May 2012
Presenter: Sharpening Your Mediation & Negotiation Skills: Pepperdine, May 2012
- Co-Presenter: American Bar Association's Section of Dispute Resolution 14th Annual Conference, April 2012: "Building an ADR Practice"
- Presenter: Ventura Center for Dispute Resolution Annual Mediation Conference, April 2012: "Hardball Negotiating Tactics –Do They Work in Real Estate, Employment and Commercial Conflicts?”
- Presenter, American Bar Association's Section of Dispute Resolution 13th Annual Conference, April 2011: "Hardball Tactics, When to Use & How to Defend when Negotiating (or Mediating) the Litigated Case" (with Michael Orfield and Christine Masters).
- Presenter, California Judges Association Retired Judges Conference, March 2011: "Mediation Confidentiality: Issues & Current Cases" (with Denise Madigan and Judge Laurie Zelon)
- Adjunct Professor, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, 2006-2016 teaching in The Mediation Clinic. Taught, as Faculty, "Mediating the Litigated Case" - highly regarded, intensive course for attorneys & graduate students from all over the country: 2010-12 Orange County and Malibu campuses
- Member, Los Angeles Superior Court ADR Committee & Sub-Committee on Operations, 2008-12
- Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2009-12
- 2006-2017: SuperLawyers recognition for ADR Practice
2007-17: Best Lawyers® Best Law Firm for ADR Practice (Arbitration & Mediation)
2014: Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year", Arbitration, in L.A. area
Chair, 4th - 9th Annual Robert I. Weil Lecture, 2009 - 2014
President, Downtown Los Angeles Litigation Inn of Court, 2008
Member, California & National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals 2006- present
Member, Chair's Council for the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences, CalTech 2011-17; Chair's Council for the Division of Biology, CalTech, 2008-10
Member, USC Board of Councilors
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Distinguished Visitor Lecturer, September 2007: "On Understanding the Effects of Anger and Fear in Negotiating Outcomes"
Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators 2004 - present
Panellist, "Emerging Ethical Issues: Are Mediations Really Confidential?" at IAM Conference, Coral Gables, Florida, May 2008
Moderator, "Fear, Anger & Risk in Mediation" at IAM Conference, Portland, Oregon, October 2007
Moderator, "Beyond Yes: An Exploration of the Mind & Decision-Making" at IAM Fall Conference, Dana Point, California, November 2005
President of the Southern California Mediation Association, 2005-06
Presenter, Spring 2005: American Bar Association Spring Conference
Past Chairman (2006-07), California State Bar Committee on Administration of Justice
Harvard College, 1966: B.A. Economics magna cum laude
Yale Law School, 1969: J.D., Yale Law Journal 1967-69
US Court of Appeals (6th Circuit) - Hon. Anthony J. Celebrezze
Law Clerk, 1969-1971
Max was featured in Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine, February 2008 & February 2009. To read the article, click here Super Lawyer Article Feb 2008.pdf
"I feel good...."
The legendary James Brown sharing some soul with Max...